Pages

Monday, December 20, 2021

Can my in-laws legally stop me from entering their home if my husband is not around? THE ECONOMIC TIMES

 

I got married five years ago and since then my husband has been working abroad. We have a four-year-old son. As my husband is away, my parents-in-law do not allow me to stay with them in their house, and I stay with my parents. My husband has not spent any money on me or my son. Do I have any right to stay in my in-laws’ house and demand financial upkeep from my husband? — Priya

According to a Supreme Court ruling in 2020, a woman has every right to stay in her in-laws’ house and cannot be thrown out even if the house is owned by the parents-in-law. So you and your son have every right to stay in your in-laws’ house. You also have a legal right to claim decent living standards and basic comforts from your husband. You can also demand financial support for your child from your husband.


Will my daughter have the same right over my self-acquired property as my son if I die without writing a will? — Samir Saxena

According to the Hindu Succession (Amendment) Act, 2005, a daughter has the same right over her father’s self-acquired property as the son if the father dies intestate. However, if the father wills this property to the son or any other person, the daughter will have no right over it.

I have just finished my studies and emigrated to my boyfriend’s country. He is a successful professional and earns very well, whereas I have just finished my education and have started looking for a job. Till my career takes off, I’m doing a part-time job, but it does not pay too well. My partner spends a lot of money on me and our joint activities, but I cannot spend in the same manner. I feel very uncomfortable about this difference in our financial status even though he cares a lot about me and doesn’t mind spending. He doesn’t seem concerned about our financial disparity and has never raised this issue with me. How should I deal with this situation? — Olga

For any self-respecting person, this financial disparity and inability to contribute to joint outings can be disconcerting. While you can do little about the current situation, understand that it is only temporary and you will start earning once you get a job. Initially, you may still not earn as much as him, but at least you will start contributing more to your mutual activities. It is important not to feel guilty because it may start to reflect in the relationship and impact it adversely. If If you are deeply upset about the financial difference, it is better to talk to your partner and let him know how you feel. Communication may be the best way to deal with the situation right now.

Disclaimer: The responses are based on limited facts provided by the queries. It is advisable to consult a legal practitioner after presenting full facts and documents. Responses should not be considered as legal advice in any manner whatsoever.


USED HERE FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY

No comments:

Post a Comment