Pages

Thursday, January 11, 2024

WITHIN INDIA RACISM IS SO DEEP ROOTED THAT WE CAN NOT DENY IT.SO WE CAN NOT BLAME WHAT HAPPENS TO INDIANS OUTSIDE INDIA :-SOME EXTRACTS FROM WHAT INDIAN PEOPLE HAVE TO SAY.

As per :Mr.Vivek Dosla Thru Quora

 Racism is induced into us from a very young age.

People are against reservation as a certain caste is getting benifits but do not want to talk about caste based discrimination.

This was my personal expirence I went to my friends house, her family is Morden and rich in their sense. They follow a strict vegetarian diet, they came to know that I eat non veg while talking. I completed my lunch then I was going inside the kitchen to put the plate back and wash my hands but her mom came running stopped me and told me to put the plate aside. I thought it's fine but later on my friend told me that I eat non veg so if I go into kitchen which has a pooja room, I would make it impure and she was very sorry about that. I was shocked that people still have issues like that.

We are taught to be racist from a very young age, we are encouraged discriminate based on caste , creed, religion, region etc.

In my house It was some time back when I came to India to attend my relatives wedding. Then everyone were eating at one place and I see some of them eat separately outside and no one is asking them for anything. I dint know so I went there and was talking to them and asking them if they need anything and I took one of their kid inside our house then the whole family was shocked and asked me how can you do stuff like this don't you know who they are, I was perturbed about the situation and spoke to my mom and dad. They were like we r educated but they won't understand the logic behind equality it's waste trying to tell them .

Even now people whine about reserved seats and call people coming to uni on reserved seats low quality but they forget that for even the reserved category student he has to get the same grades as a non reserved student to complete his courses. People find reasons to hide their inefficiencies and blame it on reservation . If people want reservation to end then they have to do something about caste discrimination first.

Matrimonial sites are the best example to find out how racist Indian society is you can find every possible division, caste based, status based, region , religion etc.

We have issues when some Indian is attacked abroad and make a hue and cry about how racist the west is but when same incident happens in India to some African or even Indian rarely do someone actually standup against it.

See the fairness cream ads how racist and illogical they are and compare the same product’s ad in the west you will know how racist our society is.

We Indians are taught to be racist, sexist etc from a very young age that's why most of Indians don't even find anything wrong in many practices which are unusual and inhumane for the most of the world .



By Mukund Arya thru Quora Digest


Incident I'm narrating happened with me back in 2009 in Kota where I went for JEE preparation. I was looking for a PG room with my friend. In kota students usually prefers a single or double bed room rather than apartment. There was a nice single room with attached bathroom and other required facilities. Room rent was also fairly normal at just Rs 3000 which was located in Talwandi. Everything was perfect so we asked flat owner who was a lady in her mid 40s about other details. Here is our conversation:

Me: Aunty, it's perfect. So what's room rent?

She: Last year we charged 2500 but this year we've increased to 3000.

Me: It's okay. We still want this room.

She: Okay. Where do you study?

Me: In Bansal classes. P6 is my batch.

She: My son is also doing JEE coaching, he has joined Vibrant.

Me: Great. We thought about Vibrant but dad insisted me to join Bansal only.

She: Yes, Bansal is still the leader of all these coaching institutes here. So what's your father do?

Me: He is School Teacher.

SheAnd Where are you from?

MeFrom Sitamarhi, Bihar. It's birthplace of Sita Ji.

She: Are you from Bihar?

Me: Yes aunty.

SheSorry Beta, we don't rent our room to 'Biharis'.

MeWhat? Aunty, I'm not like those 'Biharis' you are thinking.

SheStill I won't. I've very bad personal experience with Biharis. For me all are same.

MeAunty, you will definitely have a better experience. (I tried my best to convince her)

SheNo. I can't help you, we have our own rule. Sorry!

My friend who was watching all this suddenly asked:
Aunty are you an Indian? You don't seem like one.

And the lady got furious over this question, she shut her door.

I returned to my friend's room with sadness and anger on my face. I was a bit shocked and quite ashamed too. I have never been insulted in this manner. I was never discriminated on the basis of my caste, religion or skin of my colour, but it happened all because I belong to some specific state. I can understand people can discriminate on the basis of religion or caste or colour though it's as heinous as anything but racism on the basis of the state? I don't know whether such type of racism exist in other part of world too. Yes we don't have traditional kind of racism in India but there exist a different form of this. Here is a poster from
The Logical Indian explaining our different type of racism:


Just think you've were denied a PG room or flat for such a stupid reasons:

Are you from Delhi? You must be a politician. I hate them.

Are you from Bengal? You must be a communist. Sorry, I'm capitalist.

Are you from Punjab? You must be an alcoholic. Sorry we don't like them.

Are you from Maharashtra? You must be a supporter of the Thackreys. Sorry!

Are you Madrassi? You must be a Hindi-hater. We don't rent our room to such people.


And Are you bla bla bla....
The best way to respond to such questions is by my friend's way, ask the follow "Are you an Indian?".

From:
An Indian not a Bihari.

​PS: So many people arguing this case is not a case of Racism. Agree! If we go by definition of race, there shouldn't be any racism as we all are mixed race. We can't be specifically categorized in Caucasian or African or Mongolian. But there is clear discrimination exist in India based on ethnicity. Some time it's too generalized. Like all South Indians are not Madrasi or all UP-Bihar people doesn't speak Bhojpuri.

By Seemona A   thru Quora Digest

Iam currently in Hyderabad since past 7 months. Here racial & ethnic discrimination occur on a daily basis, hindering mental peace ! I am acutely conscious of being different & fear is a constant companion while stepping out. Because I have already been typecast as a Chinese looking girl here, I am constantly reminded that I am different and I know I'm judged by the way I look (yes i am from Northeast).

My friends here also call me "Chinese" but I don't mind it at all coz they don't mean anything discriminatory but the same hurts when somebody says this on the streets as it has to do more with the voice tone and the mannerism in which they address rather then what they are saying. Well it so happened that once I forgot my scarf and went out bare face & there were this group of kids (class 7-8 may be). I heard one of them saying "Oi dekh Ching Chong!" (Hey look ching chong) and then rest of the kids also started calling me "Ching Chong Ching chong". I ignored and kept walking.. But it really did hurt. This was the most recent incident and many such incidents keep happening and i have even faced eve teasing and taunting many times. If children aren't taught about cultural sensitivity and racial diversity in their home & schools then its obvious that this will just keep building up.

As the saying goes 'Charity begins at home', we are taught everything in our early years, to respect elders, how to behave with the basic morality that makes us human and how to treat people in general, these are the things that are engrained to us by our parents in our childhood but my question is that when it comes to teaching our children about cultural and racial diversity why are we failing as a society?

I'm sorry to say but some people in this place seriously lacks common sense and of course unaware of the diversity of our country. And that is how I came to the realization that COMMON SENSE IS NOT SO COMMON in the society that we live in. We must have basic etiquette to address people with respect and dignity. Why is it so difficult. Does it really cost a dime?

It takes massive discipline and strength to survive in a place like this. I have been living a monk's life for the last 7 months, just 2 months more (the only relief!)

I avoid going out because I don't want to be stared at. And if I do, my best companion "Scarf" is always there to protect me from those unwanted stares. I am always thinking about not offending others and about staying safe that's why I chose to stay silent and prefer staying indoors. Each time I hear about an incident, I feel 'tomorrow it may be my turn'. I even choose to dress in the most "sanskari" possible way I could, every single day, not to forget the scarf that covers my face so that nobody notices me coz I want to feel invisible in the road amongst the crowd. May be it worked 80% of the time. I would not advise northeast people to come here. I console myself saying this place is temporary for me and its just few months more and then I will be back home amongst my people living a normal "scarf - free" life. Its astonishing that I felt more free and independent at home coz generally people feel that when they are away from home (no one to question about whereabouts and all that stuff) but its total opposite for me.

Also, the hostel that I live in is a whole another episode. But since it was my decision to stay in this particular hostel on the basis of my priorities I won't complain (tired of doing that actually).

Also surviving this place because of the 3-4 friends I have here.

Living in a country as diverse as India, instead of finding differences that divides us why aren't we looking for the similarities that unites us. May be that would help us grow more as a strong country.

P.S.1- I really wish i could erase some of the hurtful memories that my brothers and sisters from northeast and other parts must have gone through.

P.S.2- I am not saying that everyone from outside Northeast is ignorant of whatever has been going on with what we from the northeast face. I have a ton of friends and good people from other parts of the country that are so genuine and loving people but we also cannot deny the fact that racism is something that is still an underlying problem of our country.

Still I m hopeful and optimistic that things will change, until then all we can do is educate the future generation about this gap we have created.






No comments:

Post a Comment