Pages

Thursday, October 12, 2023

‘Don’t want to leave Israel,’ says Indian woman in war-torn country An Indian nurse in war-torn Israel says she does not wish to return to the country of her birth and would instead prefer to help Israelis in their hour of need. MONEYCONTROL NEWS OCTOBER 10, 2023 / 11:43 AM IST

 

Indian Embassy in Israel issues advisory; urges Indians to 'remain vigilant'

An Indian nurse in war-torn Israel says she does not wish to return to the country of her birth and would instead prefer to help Israelis in their hour of need. Prameela Prabhu, from Karnataka, has been working as a nurse in Israel’s Tel Aviv-Yafo for the last six years. She is among the many expats who are stuck in the country since the Hamas launched an attack on Saturday.

“Around 8.30 pm on October 7, I had to rush to the bunker in the basement of my apartment complex as sirens started blaring after Hamas attacked Israel. Since then, I have moved to the bunker thrice. I never witnessed the violence of this scale and enormity. I live in Tel Aviv-Yafo, which has not been affected much unlike other cities and towns in Israel,” Prameela, 41, told The New Indian Express.

But even as the Indian government looks into the possibility of evacuating Indian nationals stranded in Israel, Prameela is keen on staying back.

“India gave birth to me and Israel gave me life. I cannot live in my country during their tough times. If required, I am willing to provide assistance as per the requirement of the Israeli government,” she told The Indian Express. This despite the fact that Prameela has two children in India, a son who is 13 and a daughter who is 9. She talks to them several times a day over the phone.

“I miss them but that does not mean that I should run away from these kinds of situations. Once the situation becomes normal, I will think of it,” she said.


No comments:

Post a Comment